Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday #WWC130 - Gail's Feminine "Anything Goes " Challenge

I don't know about your part of the country but where I live it's hot, hot, hot, and as we begin the month of August the long range forecast looks like more hot weather to come.  

Now I'm not complaining because in the Spring it seemed like it would never stop raining, but now a large portion of our Province (BC) is under extreme fire alert and evacuations so it's a scary time for many folks living here.  Today the sun is hidden in a smokey haze, so picture taking outside is not great. 

I have a lot of friends and family on my August birthday card list, so Gail's Feminine "Anything Goes" challenge will come in handy.  

Are you interested in playing along with us?  It's easy and fun.  Take the challenge, just make a card or project and link it to the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge site. This challenge is open from now until Monday August 7th, so there's plenty of time to post a card or project.  All the rules and how to's are on the side bar on the Watercooler Wednesday Home Page.

Here's My Card:

For this week's challenge I wanted to make an ultra feminine birthday card for my friend Lynda, and I wanted to try a drapery fold.  I looked on Pinterest for a template and found a post by Angie Leach of Too Cool Stampin, who made this drapery fold card back in 2016.  I loved the way the pleats showed just a hint of the background paper, and looked so soft and feminine. I used Angie's measurements for the drapery fold on my card but I've tweaked the rest of the card to make it my own. 

Supplies: 
Stamp Set: Beautiful Bouquet
Card Stock: Whisper White, Powder Pink, Silver Glimmer Paper
Ink: Sweet Sugar Plum, Powder Pink
Accessories: Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Bouquet Bunch and Stitched Shapes Ovals Thinlet Dies, Mini Glue Dots, Tom Bow Glue, Dimensionals, Basic Rhinestones.

Details - 7 Steps:
1.  Card Base:  Cut the card base from Whisper White card stock to measure 8 1/2" x 5 1/2". Score at 4 1/4" and fold.
2.  First Layer:  Cut a piece of Powder Pink to measure 3 7/8" x 5 1/8". Adhere to card base with Dimensionals.
3.  Second Layer:  Cut a piece of Whisper White to measure 3 3/4" x 5".  Adhere to first layer with Tom Bow glue.
4Drapery Fold:  
  • Cut a piece of designer series double sided paper to measure 8 3/4" x 3 1/2".  
  • Decide which pattern you want on the outside before you score at 1 1/4", 1 3/4", 2 3/4", 3 1/4", 4 1/4", 4 3/4", 5 3/4", 6 1/4", 7 1/4", 7 3/4".
  • Place the bottom of the 1 1/4" score line on the cutting line and the opposite top edge of the paper at the 1/2" point on your trimmer.  Cut a straight diagonal line between the two points.
  • Alternately fold front and back on score lines to create the pleats.  Crease the pleats with a bone folder to get a sharp edge.  Tip rather than using Tear N' Tape or Tom Bow glue, I affixed Mini Glue Dots between the pleats to hold the pleats in place.  Put a strip of Tear N' Tape along the back top edge and adhere to the second layer.  I lined up the bottom of the longest pleat on the side and bottom of this layer and then firmly adhered this layer.  
  • Cut a 1/4" x 3 3/4" piece of Powder Pink card stock and adhere this to the top edge of the Drapery folds.  Note:  You may have to use mini glue dots on the edge with the longest pleat.  
 
5. Sentiment:  Stamp the "Happy Birthday" sentiment from the Beautiful Bouquet stamp set on a scrap of Whisper White with Sweet Sugar Plum ink.  Stamp off the small floral image stamp in Powder Pink ink over the oval.  Cut out the stamped sentiment with the 2nd oval from the Stitched Shapes Oval Thinlets.  Using the next size of Oval cut out a Powder Pink one and attach it with Dimensionals in the center top of the card overlapping the drapery.  Adhere the sentiment oval with Dimensionals to the Powder Pink one.  

6. Card Front Details: To finish the card front, die cut a small flower in Powder Pink and a Glimmer Paper Silver leaf using the Bouquet Bunch thinlets.  Adhere to the bottom corner of the card and add Basic Rhinestones to the flower centers.

7The inside of the card has a 4" x 5 1/4" panel of Powder Pink.  I added a cluster of Whisper White flowers and Silver Glimmer leaves in the bottom right corner.   I chose not to add a sentiment  to the inside as I want to personalize this card for one of my girl friends.  

Sometimes it feels like I have more difficulty making a feminine card than a masculine one, and it becomes a real challenge for me. But, the stamping gods were with me today, because this card came together beautifully and I'm pretty pleased with the outcomeAll in all a pretty easy card that has a lot of WOW factor and a design that I know I'll be making again. 

Thanks for dropping by today.  If you haven't already visited the other Watercooler Wednesday Design Team members to check out their fabulous projects you can do so by clicking here.  Have fun and if you're so inclined I'd love to hear what you think of this card.  Have you made a Drapery Fold and if so was it easy?  Leave me a comment, I love having feed back, especially when I try something new.   

Happy Stamping
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot

2 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

This a beautiful card! I love the colors you chose and all the little details on the front and the inside. Well done! I haven't made one of these either, but am going to try as well. Thank you for passing on the site where you ideas came from and also the instructions.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather. This was a super easy card to make so I hope you'll try it out. You can switch which angle the paper is on simply by reversing the paper design. Have fun!

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...