Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday #133 - Penny's All About Christmas Challenge


It's time for another Watercooler Wednesday "All About Christmas" Challenge, and guess what?  I'm hosting this week.  

I thought I would start off the Christmas Challenge using the one stamp set that is currently available prior to the Holiday Catalogue going live on September 1st, called "Carols of Christmas".    You're going to see a lot of cards made with this stamp set and matching die cuts and the reason is simple, combined they create a remarkable range of combinations and beautiful stamping experiences.   

Here's My Card:


Supplies:
Stamp Sets: Carols of Christmas #144804, Colorful Seasons #143726, Six Sayings Hostess set #139852(R)
Card Stock: Dapper Denim, Whisper White
DSP: Color Theory Paper Pack - Dapper Denim and White Crackle
Inks: Dapper Denim and Versa Mark
Accessories: Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Card Front Builder Framelit #144674, Stitched Shapes Framelits (Circle), Snow Flurry Punch #139680, White Embossing Powder, Basic Rhinestones

Details:  
1.  Cut Dapper Denim card base to measure 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and score at 4 1/4".

2.  Cut a 5" x 4" piece of Whisper White for the next layer and cut out the corner pattern with the beautifully efficient Corner Builder Framelits.  Line up the die close to the edge of the card stock and make sure its even before running through the big shot. Tip:  When you need to make sure a cut is precisely in place use a bit of Washi Tape to hold the die down before cutting.  Works like a charm.  Glue the panel to the card base using a fine detail liquid glue around the edges of this layer and make sure the lines and corners are adhered.  

3.  Cut a 2 1/4" x 4 3/8" Dapper Denim panel and top with a 2" x 4 1/8" piece of the dapper denim crackle design paper from the Color Theory paper pack.  Randomly stamp the small and large snow flakes from the Colorful Seasons stamp set in Dapper Denim ink.  Glue to center of Whisper White layer. 


4.  Cut a 3 1/4" circle from Dapper Denim card stock and a 3" Stitched Circle from Whisper White card stock.  

Here you can see the snowflakes stamped on the designer series paper. 
5.  Stamp the Peace on Earth sentiment in the center of the circle and randomly stamp the small snowflake from Colorful Seasons around the edges of the sentiment.  Note:  I stamped my sentiment and snowflakes* prior to cutting it out with the die and the images were too far apart to show up properly on the cut image.  In future I'll cut my circle first and then stamp on it. Lesson learned. 
*Oops, you can barely see those small snowflakes stamped around the edges of this circle.  Next time I'll cut out the circle before stamping additional images.

6.  Stamp two small snowflakes on a scrap of Dapper Denim card stock with Versa Mark ink and emboss with White Embossing powder**.  Cut out the snowflakes with the Snow Flurry Punch and mount to card face and circle with dimensionals.
When I was stamping this snowflake for my Perpetual Calendar project last month I made a great discovery. The small snowflake in the Colorful Seasons stamp set is almost the same shape as the small snowflake in the Snow Flurry punch.  What do you think?  Pretty close and gives a different look from the die in the matching framelits.   Just sayin'......

**Okay, who put the Very Vanilla Embossing Powder cap on the Whisper White jar?   I didn't really notice this color variation until I was taking pictures of my card.  When I checked my Embossing Powder bottles sure enough there had been a switch-up with the caps.......... another oops?
7.  Cut a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Whisper White card stock for the inside panel.  Stamp a sentiment in the center.  I used the Merry Christmas to You and Yours from the retired "Six Sayings Hostess Stamp set".  I really love the size and style of the fonts in this set and use them often.  To finish off the inside panel I randomly stamped a couple more snowflakes.
Well there you have it, the first of many cards I'll be making and sharing with you featuring the Carols of Christmas stamp set and Card Builder Framelits. I hope you like it as much as I do and will leave me a comment.

If you haven't already checked out the rest of the Design Team Artists creations this week, I suggest you do so. What a fantastic range of cards and inspiration.
Happy Stamping! 
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot

8 comments:

Heidi Weaver said...

What a gorgeous card you've created, Penny! The colours are perfect together as are the sets you've used. I totally agree that they offer a remarkable range of combinations. I wouldn't have thought that using the Colour Theory paper would be so effective, especially stamped with those snowflakes. The design of your card really shows off all the products you've used brilliantly. Great card! Perfect for the "leader of the pack".

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heidi for your wonderful comment. I'm really happy with the Colour Theory DSP and especially love all the Dapper Denim pages. They're perfect for winter scenes.

Heather Hopson said...

Penny, you amaze me! Another beautiful card. That stamp set and die cut is so versatile. Who would have thought of using the little snowflake from Colorful Seasons, but you. And don't worry about the "Oops" - Remember there are no Stamping mistakes - only stamping opportunities!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather. Appreciate your taking the time to comment. Yes, sometimes those "oops" moments are most rewarding. I really like this stamp set and the matching dies. So many more cards to come!

Fiona said...

Lovely card Penny - I was just about to say I love that colour blue - which one is it then I saw it was Dapper Denim and I don't like Dapper Denim Lol! - just goes to show that once cards are made we change our minds about colours and sets - great job x

Penny Hanuszak said...

Ha, ha that's funny Fiona. I'm not a big lover of blue either for interiors, clothing etc. but I am partial to it for Christmas cards. This would look great in Island Indigo too!

paper bag create said...

Perfect colour ~ Dapper Denim for this snowflake card! Love the border cutouts..really pizzazz finish for the card! Thanks for a great challenge and helping me to build up the Christmas card stash. :)

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Sheri for commenting on my card and for participating in the Watercooler Wednesday Christmas Challenge. That my friend is awesome. Glad to help you out in getting your cards done early! Stamping Hugs!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...