Thursday, September 25, 2014

Hot Pink Anniversary! The Challenge #15

I found a "new to me" challenge blog this week called Always Playing With Paper. They show case a sketch and colour challenge and they post the dimensions of the layers for the sketch.  Now that's pretty awesome.  You can do either of the challenges or mash them up so that gives you lots of options.  

Here's the sketch and the hot colour combo that got my creative juices flowing.  
And, here are the dimensions in case you're interested in recreating the sketch:
Card Dimensions
Card Base: 4.25" x 5.5"
Black Trim: 4" x 2.25"
White Strip: 4" x 2"
Scallops: 1" x 4"

 Here's My Card: 

I opted to use just only the colour portion of this challenge for this Anniversary Card, and let me tell you, I absolutely love the way it turned out.  Melon Mambo and Basic Black together are just so hot! Oh and I love those large Polka Dots!

Supplies: 
Stamp Set:   Happy Hour 
Ink:  Momento - Tuxedo Black, Melon Mambo and Old Olive Markers for the cherries.
Card Stock:  Basic Black for card base, Melon Mambo, Basic Gray and Whisper White.  
DSP:  Silver Glimmer Paper, Back to Black Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Accessories:  Circles Collection Framelits, 2 1/2" circle punch, Large Polka Dot Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Basic Pearls coloured with hot pink Sharpie,Dimensionals and adhesive. Big Shot and Trimmer.


How'd I Do It:
1.  The card base is cut from Basic Black cardstock and measures 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 and is scored at 4 1/4".

2.  The Melon Mambo layer measuring 4 x 5 1/4" was embossed with the Large Polka Dot Textured Impressions Embossing folder and then adhered to the card front.

3. A strip of 5 1/2 x 11/4" Basic Gray cardstock was layered with a 1
 x 5 1/4" strip of Back to Black designer series paper and then adhered to the card base.

  
4.  For the circles layer, I started with a 3 1/4" Basic Gray layer, followed by a 3" Melon Mambo layer, a 2 3/4" Silver Glimmer Paper layer and finally a 2 1/2" Whisper White circle layer.  The Whisper White layer was stamped with the beverage glass, 3 cherries and Cheers sentiment before being attached to the circle layer.  I offset the Whisper White and Silver Glimmer paper layers. 

5.  I decided to add some pizzazz to the stamped piece by first stamping the cherries and colouring them with Melon Mambo and Old Olive ink markers.  Next I coloured the basic pearls with a dark pink Sharpie Marker and then glued them to the cherry centers.  Although the colour is a bit off, it's close enough to work effectively.  

6. The inside Whisper White panel measures 3 3/4" x 5".   I stamped the "Any hour spent with you is Happy Hour!" image on the top half of the panel, and re-stamped the cocktail glass.  To tie the inside of the card to the outer cover, I adhered a 3/4" x 3 3/4" strip of the designer series paper and finished this off with a 1/4" strip of Melon Mambo cardstock.  
 
I was very happy with the outcome of this card.  This Colour Challenge has to be one of my favourites, and I hope you'll like the outcome as much as I do.  

Leave me a comment to let me know what your favourite colour combo is, and make sure you leave some comments for the Always Playing with Paper Design Team and other participants.  There are some wonderful and inspiring cards posted.

Happy Stampin' 
Penny Tokens

4 comments:

paper bag create said...

Love the colour combo...it was a great colour challenge. Your card totally rawks!! ;)

wienerhoneymooners said...

Super cute love the POLKA dots and the cool drink!! YAY, thanks for joining us at The Challenge!!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Super cute love the POLKA dots and the cool drink!! YAY, thanks for joining us at The Challenge!!!

Lesley said...

Love the embossed background and the way you added a glitter circle under the main image. This is fabulous! Thanks for joining us at The Challenge.

Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #572:

April has sure been living up to its reputation for rain showers but it's been really on the cold side which isn't normal for this t...