Thursday, March 10, 2011

Masculine Birthday Card

It was my brother-in-law Ken's birthday at the end of February and I made him a tri-fold card.  Both the stamp set an DSP that I used are retired but work well for a masculine card.  The stamp set which is from 2004 is called "Bareback". The cardstock that I've used is So Saffron, Dusty Durango and Early Espresso.

This card design is one of my favourites and is so easy to make.  You simply:

*Cut a piece of card stock 5 1/2" x 12 inches for your base.
*Score on the 12 inch length at 2,4,8, and 10 inches
*on the 5 1/2 side, measure in 1 1/2" and cut from the 2" scoreline to the 10" scoreline, flip cardstock and repeat on the other side. 
*Fold card on score lines.  When folded you will have a T-shaped piece for the front of the card and when looking down at the card you will see zig zag boxes.  See picture below. 
* To decorate sections cut dsp as follows:  4 pieces of dsp 1 3/8/ x 1 3/8,  2 pieces of dsp 1 3/8 x 3 7/8, 2 pieces of patterned paper 2 3/8 x 3 7/8.  Adhere all pieces to the card base. Decorate front T shape with large stamped image.  I've mounted mine using a scallop circle. 

Here are some views of the finished card:


Here's a side view of the card showing the zig zag shape of the cuts.
I love this sentiment, it's so beautiful!

14 comments:

Shari Winterstein said...

Wow Penny - this is wonderful. Lots of work and worth every minute of it. Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Rose Castillo said...

That is such an awesome card. You did a great job with it. Very masculine.

MarĂ­a said...

Very Pretty and yes Masculine. thanks for sharing your talent.

Dale Morin said...

What a great card! Love the colors you used. I have made a couple of cards in this design so I know they are a bit of work. Yours turned out beautifully. TFS

Debbie Martin said...

Love your tri-fold card. Very masculine. TFS
www.cleverandcute.blogspot.com

Julia said...

This is a great card. I've never made this kind of card. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

paper bag create said...

GORGEOUS Penny!!!! What a FABULOUS masculine card! Love the colours and all the details! {{hugs}}

Carrie Sampsel said...

Great card. It is very masculine and I sometimes have a hard time with those. I also love the color combo. TFS.
www.carriesscrapyard.blogspot.com

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

WOWZIER Penny!!! I love this!!! Need my mailing addy? hehe Beautiful card!!!

Crystal said...

Oh Penny, this is wonderful! What a great card with so much attention to detail! I can't help but be inspired by this great masculine card - someone's SURE gonna love THIS!! :) tfs

Angel Hawks said...

Great work!

I am following you now from SC...
Thanks for following me.

Angel Hawks
www.MakeSomethingCute.com

Patti said...

What a great card. It is definitely masculine. This style of card looks like it's difficult to make but goes together pretty easy. Really nice job.

Chanda said...

Penny, this is such a lovely, yet handsome card! Had to throw 'handsome' in there since it's for a man, of course! ;) I love that cool cut/fold. I've always been meaning to try it but have yet to attempt it. You did a great job! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!

~Chanda Stehlik

Anne Marie Hile said...

Absolutely gorgeous card! Wow! I have always wanted to try out this style of card myself. I just love that DSP for a masculine card. Great job! :)

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...